PAOBA is continuing to move forward with the Breeders' Showcase as part of the MA and PA Alpaca Pronk and we are closely monitoring any rules and regulations set forth by the Pennsylvania Governor and the Department of Health. We will post updates as needed.
Fiber Arts Competition
Co-chairs Tacy Kessler and Priscilla Scheivert
Anyone can enter the competition-no membership in either the Pennsylvania Alpaca Owners and Breeders Association or the Alpaca Owners Association is required !!
Fiber Arts Divisions
Beginner (Working in the Fiber Art for less than 2 years)
A. Junior – Ages 18 and younger
B. Adult – Over age 18.
Intermediate (Working in the Fiber Art for more than 2 years)
Advanced (Working in that Fiber Art for more than 5 years and has received a score of 90 or greater within a given class).
Fiber Arts Categories
All handwork (100% handspun yarns with 100% hand made construction and/or 100% hand felted (from either raw !ber or handspun yarn).
Part or non-handwork (use of commercially spun yarn and/or knitting machine made construction, less than 100% hand felted)
Use of commercially spun yarn and/or knitting machine construction. Less than 100% hand felting
Fiber Arts Groups
Fiber Arts Classes
- Accessories – any technique
Shawls and scarves
- Garments – any technique
- Hearth & Home – any technique
Home furnishings (rugs, pillows, afghans, wall hangings, containers, etc).
Rules: Fiber Arts Competition
- All Entries, in all classes, must consist of 50% or more alpaca !ber.
- All Fiber Arts items must be one-of-a kind items crafted by the exhibitor
- A maximum of 1 entry per division/category/group/class per exhibitor
- Items must have been completed during the last year
- No substitutions
- A completed Entry Tag must accompany the item, stating the artisan’s name, address, and class number. If known the name and a photograph of the alpaca from which the fiber was gathered may also be included and attached to the Entry Tag.
- Each item must be accompanied by a written description that provides construction details. This description will be included in the points for judging. The description requires, but is not limited to, the following information: fiber preparation, fiber content, techniques used, as well as, intended use. Written descriptions shall not exceed a 3” x 5′′ card and must NOT contain identifying information, including but not limited to alpaca name, individual name or ranch identifying information. NOTE: description cards containing identifying information will be removed and no points for written descriptions will be awarded.
- Please see the AOA SHOW DIVISION HANDBOOK for Judging Criteria
- Entry fees are $15.00 per item for Fiber Arts Entry
- Entries and tags can be dropped o# at the show on Friday by 3 pm, but the entry form must be mailed/postmarked by April 2, 2021 with the payment.
- You must include a return address from the US Post Office to have your entries and awards returned to you after the show. You or a representative that you designate may also pick up the entries after noon (12:00pm) on Sunday, April 11, 2021. Entries not picked up or without adequate prepaid postage WILL NOT BE RETURNED. Written authorization is required for someone other than the Exhibitor to pick up the item.
- As a standard PAOBA show policy, every effort will be made to provide a secure environment, but PAOBA cannot be responsible for individual items displayed. There is security in the building and the Fiber Arts Display will be covered with sheets each night. Submission of an entry indicates agreement with these terms.
Send Entries to:
2021 PAOBA Showcase Fiber Arts
c/o Tacy Kessler
Stone Ridge Farm
3684 Cheltenham Rd.
York, PA 17402